What Is Marriage Annulment
When people get married, their intentions are to be living happily ever after. Their are however some cases, especially not long after the marriage that one or both parties want to end the marriage.
According to Wikipedia, annulment is a legal procedure for declaring a marriage null and void. Unlike divorce, it is usually retroactive, meaning that an annulled marriage is considered to be invalid from the beginning almost as if it had never taken place.
Marriages can either be declared as voided or voidable. In both cases, the marriage will end after the declaration.
Reasons For Marriage Annulment
When a marriage is annulled as void
- The person who solemnises the marriage was not competent to do so
- The girl was under the age of 15, or the boy was under the age of 18 without consent from the Minister of Home Affairs
- The marriage was not correctly witnessed
- The parties to the marriage were close relatives
- One party is already married
- One party was not of sound mind when they got married
When a marriage is annulled as voidable
- Marriage took place without the necessary consent
- Wife was pregnant with the child of another man at the time of marriage
- Material mistake in the process
- Impotence or sterility
How Do Apply For Annulment Of Marriage
Contact a divorce attorney and discuss the circumstances. They will also explain the options you have and the process of declaring the annulment as void or voidable.
Your attorney will do the court application on your behalf and manage the court process while explaining each step with you.